Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Ongoing D7/D8 work

I've been a bit quiet on this blog, but I'm still at it with Delphi 8. After settling on only using non-dataaware stuff (for now) in ASP.net, D8 seems very solid, and furthermore you can avoid using any borland specific stuff and have deployments which will go on a plain vanilla .Net framework box (not requiring any borland libraries be deployed), which can be a big advantage in a virtual hosting arrangement.

I've settled on two kinds of basic architectures for client apps at the moment...

If I need really rich client behaviour, or offline functionality, I use Delphi 7 for client apps & ActiveX stuff. To make these disparate pieces talk I use D8 to build ASP.net web services which I put somewhere central.

If I can get away with a web interface then it's D8 asp.net all the way.

D7/D8 are a good pair to work with, because hybrid Win32 & webservice based stuff is a nice choice in the present computing environment (if you need more than a web app can provide, like windows services, or offline stuff, or a more complex interface, as I said above).

I'm looking forward to D9 where all this should come bundled in one package.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home